back   Next

Clavichord

close
image /
Johann Adolph Hass (1713-1771)1760HamburgDiv. wood, ivory, horn, div. metal and precious metal, various colours, glazes and varnishes, strips of wool fabric and oil paint177 x 56 x 80,5 cm

For generations, the Hass family ran a workshop that produced instruments. Their studio was famous for making large, ornate harpsichords and exceptional clavichords. Due to its particularly soft and delicate sound, the clavichord was a favoured instrument specifically used for practice and within the home.  During the period of sentimentalism, it had become incredibly popular, as music lovers were fond of the high-quality instrument. The Hass workshop made Hamburg a centre for the production the clavichord.