back   Next

Blohm-Room

close
image /
Designed by: Rudolf Alexander Schröder (1878-1962), Executed by: Ernst Matthes and Rudolf Tewes (1879-1965) 1912HamburgRoom with painted murals and a collection of porcelain from the mansion that belonged to the merchant family Blohm, located at Harvestehuder Weg 36

Rudolf Alexander Schröder designed the murals for this porcelain-room at the Blohm mansion. The designs were realised by the Bremen painter Rudolf Tewes and Ernst Matthes, the brother of Magdalene Blohm (1879-1950), in 1912. Beings, birds and hunting scenes, signs of the zodiac, and flowering garlands are depicted, as well as ovals frame depictions of putti as allegories of the seasons. These paintings frame the display cabinets of once belonging to Otto Blohm (1870-1944) and his wife Magdalene, née Matthes’s, who owned a famous porcelain collection in Hamburg. Until 1945, the collection was comprised of 700 individual pieces of 18th century porcelain produced by leading European porcelain manufactures. Among the collection were figurines of Italian Commedia dell’Arte, dwarfs, putti, miners and fancies. The Blohm’s heirs, Ernesto Blohm and his wife Emily, gave approximately one third of the collection as a permanent loan to the MKG in 1961. This period room was realised with the support of the Blohm family and the Agnes Gräfe Stiftung.