back   Next

Abendroth’s Room

close
image /
Architect: Alexis de Chateauneuf (1799-1853), Painted by: Erwin Speckter (1806-1835) and Carl Julius Milde (1803-1875) 1834/35HamburgRoom with balcony originally located in the Hamburg town house of the lawyer Dr. August Abendroth (1796-1867), which was located on the corner of Neuer Jungfernstieg and Große Theaterstraße

This living room and balcony were originally a part of a representative mansion designed by the architect Alexis de Chateauneuf between 1832 and 1836. De Chateauneuf also designed and built the Hamburg Alster Arcades. With the painter Erwin Speckter, he created his most important masterpiece: both the room and balcony were designed in magnificent architectural harmony. Carl Julius Milde completed Speckter’s late Classical decoration of the balcony. The décor depicts ideal landscapes with Greek gods and goddesses, such as Amore, Venus, Apollo and the muses, as well as large grotesques upon a white background. Ornaments of botanic tendrils, fantastic human and animal figures, cupids and mythical figures – all of which are inspired by Pompeian mural paintings – rise like candelabra. When the mansion was demolished in 1905, the room and belocney were reinstalled at the Museum für Kunst und Gewerbe Hamburg.