back   Next

Goblet in the form of an Orchid’s Blossom

close
image /
Antonio Salviati (1816-1890)ca. 1880Muranoclear and coloured glass28,5 x 18,5 x 11,1 cm

The Venetian art of glass making, which had reached its peak of fame in the Middle Ages, lost its popularity by the 18th century. Antonio Salviati (1816-1890), a lawyer from Venice, put the tradition back on the map, and once again made it world famous. In 1860, he founded the Compania Salviati, a production plant and glass-blowing school. This prompted a revival of traditional and local glass-blowing techniques. Beginning in 1865, Salviati experimented with new methods in the production of hollow glass vessels. This decorative glass, produced by Compania Salviati and decorated with ever increasing whimsical décor, enjoyed great popularity during the Historicism movement, thus, the product attracted international interest at world fairs.