back   Next

Two Female Figurines commissioned for the Stoclet Palace in Brussels

close
image /
Richard Luksch (1872-1936)1905ViennaFaience (tin-glazed earthenware)202 x 64 x 60 cm (a), 200 x 62 x 60 cm (b)

Originally, the Viennese Art Nouveau artist Richard Luksch created these two faience (tin-glazed earthenware) figurines for the eastern façade of the famous sanatorium named Purkersdorf near Vienna. Instead, they were installed in the garden of the Stoclet Palace in Brussels, important masterpiece of architecture by Joseph Hoffmann. These two lascivious, nervously twisting figurines show the influenc of Auguste Rodin (1840-1917), as well as the erotic spirit of Gustav Klimt (1862-1918). In 1907, Luksch accepted the position of professor of sculpture at the Hamburg Kunstgewerbeschule. He also created many public sculptures and monuments in Hamburg until his death in 1936.